I'm always looking for clever birthday gift ideas, especially for the men in my life. For whatever reason, I often find gift giving for the boys to be much harder. So because my brother was turning 30 this year, and I didn't know what to get him for his birthday, I decided to fill a gift box with other things that were celebrating their own 30th birthdays. All of the items in the gift box were introduced the same year he was born!
Things introduced in 1984:
1.Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
5. Muppet Babies
6. The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
7. Extra Bubblegum
8. Advil ibuprofen tablets
9. Alex Trebek as host of Jeopardy!
10. The Video Music Awards on MTV
11. The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss
13. Ferrari Testarossa
14. The Apple Macintosh Computer
15. The Supreme Court rules that personally recording shows on VHS is not copyright infringement in Sony Corp of America vs. Universal Studios, Inc. (also known as the "Betamax" case)
It was fun finding trinkets and making a printout to represent all of the "30th" things I found online. This could easily be tweaked to any milestone year. It's easy to find things in an internet search and it's fun putting everything together for the birthday present!
My brother looks pleased in this picture, so I hope that means that he had a very Happy 30th Birthday!
What sort of gifts do you like to give as birthday presents? I'd love to hear your ideas--just leave a comment below.