Thursday, February 18, 2016

Family heirloom

One of these days I will get back to posting craft tutorials, but I wanted to share photos of a beautiful family heirloom that I now own. Recently my Grandmother made the difficult decision to sell my father's childhood home. Her new place is small, so she asked that the family come together and choose pieces that would mean something to each of us. I was able to select this antique display case that belonged to my Great Grandmother.


My husband and I decided to place the case in our living room and fill the inside with a bell that I purchased in the Czech Republic, some pottery we received for our wedding, and some other mementos from my grandmother. I just love that we are able to see all of these special items every day because of the prominence of the display case in our home.



The display case also has a functioning drawer at the bottom where I placed tablecloths, place mats, cloth napkins, and other items that I didn't have a place to put before! When we first opened the display case, I swore that I could smell my Great-Grandmother's home. It's funny how scent is so tied to memory! I will enjoy thinking of my Grandmother and Great Grandmother every time I look at this piece, which is my favorite part about family heirlooms! This piece will certainly be a much-loved item in our home for years to come.


Do you have a family heirloom that you love? Please share with me in the comments section!

No comments: