Monday, December 3, 2012

Non-Traditional Holiday Decorations

Modern Christmas Wreath by E. Magee
Modern Christmas Wreath, a photo by E. Magee on Flickr.
This time of year the stores are filled with red and green or blue and white to mark the winter Holidays of Christmas and Hanukkah. My favorite thing to do for my own decorations is to think outside of the (crayon) box.

That is how I came up with this wreath for my front door. With purples, magenta, and lime green, there is nothing traditional about this decoration!

The wreath was created with a foam circle base. I bought magenta and purple tree garland and wrapped those around the foam base in alternating stripes. I secured the garland with hot glue.

Next I used sparkly foam snowflakes and pine cones to decorate the wreath.

Last I topped it off with a big, glittery, purple & silver bow (instructions on bow making can be found here).

It definitely brightens up our porch during the dark December days.

What are some of your favorite non-traditional Holiday decorations or color palettes?