Thursday, August 22, 2013

Book Recommendations: Fiction

Summer may be winding down, but I am hoping to continue my Summer reading into the Fall and Winter! I am pushing myself to read 40 books in 2013. I'm up to 25 so far, so I am hopeful to stay on track and meet my goal.

book-recommendations

I am fortunate to be surrounded by lots of readers who are always sharing books with me. I think my Mom is really the one who instilled that love of reading in me. One of my favorite family excursions as a kid was going to the Library with her and my brothers. I even still have my very first library card from 1st grade, faded and cracked, but so special because it has my signature from when I was six years old!

Reading is something that I love to do every day. It is the perfect way for me to relax and unwind so it is a night time routine for me!

Recently I've read some really good books, so I thought I would share my recommendations. Of course I would like to hear your recommendations too!

Atlas of Unknowns by Tania James
Written by an author raised in my hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, this book was one of my Summer favorites. It is the story of two sisters from India, and what happens to them when one goes to live in the United States. I was so impressed by this novel which is Tania James' first. James has such a knack for storytelling, at one point mesmerizing me just by describing the handcrafted wedding invitation made by one of the characters. I am so thankful to the co-worker who lent it to me to read!

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
You may have noticed that I like stories with strong female characters, and this is definitely one of those books. Written for a young adult audience, this book tells the story of September, a little girl whisked away from her boring life in Nebraska to a magical place called Fairyland. Only, Fairyland is not as happy as it may seem, so September sets out to help, making many friends along the way.

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai
I learned about this book from a magazine and added it to my long list of "to-reads." I casually looked for it at the local library and once I saw the cover, I had to pick it up. I know that you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but how could you not? The artwork is amazing! Inside Out and Back Again is the story of one Vietnamese family's journey to the United States to escape the Vietnam War. Told through poems, Lai's book was at times heartwarming and at times heart-wrenching. I am always fascinated by stories told from different perspectives (like what it means to be an outsider) and this was one of those stories that was achingly beautiful. I really recommend picking up this book.

Don't forget to share your current reads and recommendations with me by commenting on this post!

1 comment:

~julee~ said...

Thanks for the reviews! I've been looking for good recommendations now that I actually have time to read something other than a textbook.

I've recently read The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant, My Antonia by Willa Cather, and currently reading All But My Life by Gerda Weissmann Klein.